My Stuff

2010 Conferences

OSGi DevCon @ JAX London

February 23 - Keynote titled OSGi in the Enterprise: Agility, Modularity, and Architecture’s Paradox

EclipseCon

March 22 - 25 - Tutorial on Modular Architecture

Über Conf

June 14 - 17 - Sessions titled Turtles and Architecture and Patterns of Modular Architecture

Catalyst

July 26 - 30 - Two sessions on rich mobile applications and one on agile development. Half day tutorial on software process improvement.

Tweets @ Twitter

re: #apple event "We sold more iPads than any PC manufacturer sold of their entire PC line." 2012-09-12

re: #Apple Event ""Our notebooks now rank #1 in the US in Market share in the last three months." 2012-09-12

Right on. I just won a Best Buy drawing worth $1000. Either that or I won a shiny new virus by clicking the link. Hmm...what to do. 2012-08-29

The #osgi alliance response (http://t.co/KrN8XNWg) to the @mreinhold #jigsaw announcement (http://t.co/9YvcDdqC). 2012-08-29

Good Q&A with @mreinhold on project #jigsaw. http://t.co/9YvcDdqC. Modularity will change the way we design and run apps! 2012-08-28

LinkedIn Profile

The opinions expressed on this site are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer.

Java Components & OSGi

Filed Under Java, OSGi, Platforms |

Because of it’s emerging significance and my increased interest, I’ll be posting a number of entries related to OSGi. I’ll share some ideas on how OSGi stands to transform enterprise Java software development and application delivery, present some samples that illustrate these ideas, and offer a few opinions regarding the JCP and the various JSR’s that intend to accomplish similar ideals. I’m hopeful that my unbiased opinion will help developers more fully understand the value that OSGi brings to the enterprise. To help you quickly find all OSGi related entries on this site, I’ve created a separate blog category under which I’ll file these posts. I’ve also added a separate page that links to a number of other useful OSGi specific articles, websites, and blogs. If you are aware of an on-line resource related to OSGi, or know of one not on the current list, let me know and I’ll add it.

For quite some time, I’ve felt that the lack of a component technology has left a gaping hole on the Java platform. In fact, this is what led me to begin development on JarAnalyzer back in 2001 in the hope that I could help developers understand the component modularity of their existing applications. It’s also what led me to found Extensible Java in the hope that I could offer some design guidelines surrounding component modularity when developing large enterprise software systems in Java. The idea of a component technology that brings greater modularity to the Java platform is very exciting. This is my first OSGi-related post, so let’s start at the beginning. Why?

The distiction between software architecture and design is subtle, and countless trees have been sacrificed attempting to differentiate between the two. Booch sums it well, pointing out that it’s the cost of change separating the two.

All architecture is design but not all design is architecture. Architecture represents the significant design decisions that shape a system, where significant is measured by cost of change.

Cost of change can be measured in many different ways, and is contextual. Financial cost, technological risk, and derived business value are examples of what might factor into that cost. However you slice it and dice it, the business value of design is to craft a software design that minimizes the cost of change by maximizing adaptability to change.

The ability of software to adapt, however, is not constant. As unexpected shifts in technology and business occur, the original design may not accommodate current needs. Should this occur in an architecturally significant area of the system, the cost of applying the correct change may exceed the immediate business value. As this happens throughout the life of a software system, software design degrades to the point where most change is no longer cost effective, and the temptation to hack a compromised solution is great. As this begins, and continues to occur, the software is beginning to rot.

Fowler discusses Design Stamina Health in making the compelling case that software design is a worthwhile activity. I doubt many of us disagree with his conclusion, assuming that the resulting design realizes the intended goal - that it can evolve. While good software designs are able to evolve based on the known factors today, the unforeseen factors of tomorrow reap havoc on design. I doubt we can ever entirely defeat these forces, but many techniques have been discovered that allow us to craft more adaptable software designs. Object-oriented development, design patterns, software code quality metrics, design quality principles, emergent design techniques such as Test-Driven Development, and Service Oriented Architecture all represent a positive step. Yet for large enterprise software systems, there is still a key ingredient missing in delaying design rot. On the horizon looms a disruptive technology, codename OSGi, that stands to redefine how we think about designing enterprise software on the Java platform.

Comments

26 Responses to “Java Components & OSGi”

1. OSGi Post Summary : Software & Technology @kirkk.com on February 19th, 2009 8:40 pm

[...] Java Components & OSGi - My first “official” OSGi post where I talk about JAR files as components on the Java platform. [...]

2. OBPLAO161 on March 21st, 2012 8:36 pm

????????? ?????? ????????????? ?????? ???????? ?????? 484345217

3. lidpexeipifey on June 21st, 2012 2:57 am

Good afternoon here
    techdistrict.kirkk.com is a good forum
    I spent 6 hours searching in the network, until find your forum! I think, I shall stay here for a long time!

4. psormt on August 2nd, 2012 8:57 am

Brought to you by blackhatmafia.com

5. drigmeldign on October 25th, 2012 10:54 am

Your website is the first impression your potential customers have of your business. More importantly, that first glimpse is also when your customer will make an opinion and compare your business to your competitor’s.

Too often websites are designed for companies by web designers with little or no understanding of the commercial needs of business. What you need is a website that actually works.

Assure your business has the competitive advantage in a fast-paced online marketplace. Position yourself with a web agency that stays on the cutting edge of http://www.imediaworks.com.au/ - website design. With our focus on creativity, innovation, and attention to detail, our clients trust us to deliver experiences that are unique and leave good lasting impressions.

6. RafealABY on January 14th, 2013 10:09 am

hello,

we’re not sure anybody is interested in trying to own an i phone 5 or not, but here is a site i’ve located that offers a contest giving them away. it’s simple and painless to enter & FREE!!

good luck

7. Varpspani on January 15th, 2013 12:38 pm
  8. Blancherdl on February 9th, 2013 7:31 pm

??>

??>

??>

9. Steegeeffox on April 10th, 2013 3:45 am

Good day! Recently I came across electricians tools. What do you think?

Any feedback? Hope you can help me.

10. FarCrobre on April 23rd, 2013 12:54 pm

I accidentally deleted my joomla files from server? How to install it and have it as it was?
    bwin

11. UnfakTani on June 4th, 2013 11:51 pm

Hi guys and gals ! How are you ? I am new here, pleaze welcome me.

12. ????? ??? ????? 2013 on July 22nd, 2013 6:09 am

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

13. ????? ??? ????? 2013 on July 22nd, 2013 6:10 am

Leaf Qin once walks street a few an alleys‚ return to the oneself mansion house doorway inside the city.At this time‚ is seeing the ice son send two wear water cloud temple temple takes of beautiful looks female the monk come out.Those two female monks see leaf Qin‚ but also recognize and salute”"once saw leaf’s senior ……” then nose smile a responsibility to leave.

14. Best Prices on September 16th, 2013 2:11 pm

[...] Other links: Bren Ten by Rossi Quote Analysis ? Timing, Ambition | Timeless Information Java Components & OSGi : Software & Technology @kirkk.com visit [...]

15. program pit 2013 on January 15th, 2014 2:15 am

Hey there, You have performed an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and in my view recommend
    to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this site.|

Feel free to surf to my weblog … program pit 2013

16. Medalion on January 27th, 2014 9:15 am

??????? ???????? ????????????, ????, ?????, ???????????????????????? ??????? ?? ???? ??????.
    ??????, ?????????? ? ?????. ?????? ?? ????? ????????????? ??????????. ??? ??????? - ?????? ??????? ??????????????.
    ??????????? ?? ????? http://imacom.ru

17. toopTorrelo on May 16th, 2014 6:20 am

In ancient occasions, the loincloth was utilized as men’s under garments. It had been common to insure your non-public regions, called the only scintilla of material worn in warmer regions. In cooler regions it had been all in being an undergarment. The household cultures were not sensitive associated with a varied other materials that may be employed for clothing. Males of the Italian foremost and A festival in Greece are recognized to normally rub off last the loincloth being an undergarment. The textile from the loincloth originated from made of moll, linen (on that people and slaves) or silk (mostly payment that more northerly ilk of people). Manure today it’s utilized in profuse Asian communities.

Men’s answerable to garments has developed during a period of time. Within the resurgence patch, the loincloth was replaced with loose pants which found be referred to as a Braise. It wasn’t before the industrial duration of the 1700s that dude began to produce utter of cotton and with the support of the spinning jenny and cotton gin were they proficient of making put forward hour undergarments.

Recently, men’s under garments has gone result of a all-embracing manner change. Whites are no more an choice that males consider. Using the growing in the craze while increasing in passage of colors, males suffer with started to handling owing undergarments which are wholly different, as in similarity for the primary color and style.

You will discover a numerous types of men’s secondary to garments. The mensh boxer briefs are to hand in a diversity of designs and styles. Each boxer succinct includes a unambiguous style and it has a individual design. It is at one’s fingertips in an application-fitting manipulation that covers the waist and upper thighs. Although some briefs achieve decrease the more elevated thighs, other medication is up until the crotch line. Andrew Christian, Doran’s, Intymen, Male Animation, Male Basics, N2N Essence wear, BRAGGART, Pap, and Unicom offer briefs that accomplish the farthest cut the control thighs.

Because the reinvention of mensh jockstraps in 1874, the inaugural envision has transformed. It had been initially made to defend bicycle jockeys, which later aroused the benefit of other sports athletes from myriad other sports. The jockstrap can be habituated to an undergarment with a view sustenance and defence from the man’s secluded region. It consists of a waist, unfolded ended and encouraging pouch. This design continues to be legitimately maintained.

Jockstrap producers have a minutest of six different materials within their forging process cotton, polyester, rayon, nylon secular, polyamide and spandex. Cotton offers the individual extra comfort and soaks up perspiration. Cotton is combined with polyester to sell wrinkle resistance. Rayon is convey into the meld to sell a visual sheen. Nylon material can be hand-me-down assign it an even grain and polished finish. Polyamide adds sturdiness and strength. And lastly, spandex is added because of its fine adaptability and talent to widen without distorting the material.

At your discretion around the without delay undergarment, pull down on the internet and corroborate out the several websites that fix up with provision you with a mixture of men’s under garments. There you can undertake the different undergarments. It can help you single out everyone which fits best.

18. facelift without surgery scam on May 16th, 2014 9:31 am

Superb blog! Do you have any hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own site soon but I’m a little
    lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free
    platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There
    are so many options out there that I’m completely confused ..
    Any tips? Cheers!

19. Christian Louboutin Sale on May 21st, 2014 12:14 pm

my a feeling on this topic include you.its wonderful that you brought the up on your blog,it absolutely was a nice debatable move through.
    Christian Louboutin Sale http://discount-louboutinshoes.540web.com/

20. nutuaneoush on May 23rd, 2014 6:31 pm

Time and time again I fool heard my friends who are parents squawk far the substandard toys they manage on assemble shelves today. Kids necessity to procure joy, they remark, without having to compromise the conditions they spend to strengthen their lunatic skills. Most of the children’s toys in the market are not union the requirements that the parents want quest of their kids.

Well, I don’t have a child of my own so it’s not cosy also in behalf of me to offer in my two cents worth on the undergo, although I do bear a all of friends with the most loved kids and I would predilection for these kids to nurture up fully equipped to captivate on their dreams and hyperbolize them a reality. So their parents sound to be asking too much from toys - wouldn’t you fancy the worst after your own kid as well?

This is why it was so energizing when I came across the Escalation rapidly Cushion explorer tablet. I brought some of my friends to appreciate it and they all wanted to emplane unified instead of their own children, nieces and nephews as well.

The odd thing back this explorer learning scratch pad is that it has both games and learning tools wrapped up in undivided tidy, STEADFAST particle package. It can survive the polluted fingers and extreme handling that kids are known to submit their toys to. It unvarying comes with an collateral stylus in action lawless kids intermission it or elude it (there is a fetter that you can tie to the magnetized stylus to the Master Note-pad if you want to be non-toxic).

Don’t bite all over having to show your child for hours on how to drive this gadget. It is uncanny how kids today solely identify how to use complex devices without having to guru them. The intuitive devise on the explorer learning tablet is lenient to use and rocklike to put down. Long passenger car rides that occupied to be painful as regards every one are now a task because they fit so immersed in the games and learning tools that this gadget provides.

I’m unfailing even-handed adults, once they own exhausted dilly-dally with it, will learn it busted to check using the applications in the Hop over Pad. There are more than a hundred of helpful applications that can be uploaded depending on what the youngster wants to learn more about. Unchanging notwithstanding that the manufacturers promote this to be used during kids from 4 to 9 years old, I know of people who bribe this for their 2 years hoary kid without any question at all.

It is, in fact, bigger if you start your child in their wisdom odyssey as originally as possible. After all, it is in the earliest years of a myself’s soul that he wants to recognize about all things and more than that, he retains a great deal b much of info that last will and testament thwart with him everywhere his life. Imagine how this can immensely continue value to the immature woman’s life. It’s not only the low-down he gets from these resources that is considerate, it is how this implement develops his creativity and grows his passion for information that is beyond question priceless.

Concerning pattern, there is an interactive libretto effort that the Growth Wad has. The Ultra eBook is extremely utilitarian because it lets the lad dilate his vocabulary and recondition his comprehension skills nearby a unembellished meddle with of the screen. The interactive genre of these scholarship tabs, together with the compelling stories, make the romance come alert to fit the child and he ordain elaborate on a the waves young lady repayment for reading. Parents can know with their newborn while recording their voices. This is not only advantageous in understanding how firm words are obvious, but it is a wonderful mode to expend importance values bright and early with their kids.

21. Lowell on June 2nd, 2014 8:13 pm

Very shortly this web site will be famous amid
    all blog users, due to it’s nice posts

22. Casinoguiden on July 2nd, 2014 9:00 pm

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words
    in your content seem to be running off the screen in Safari.

I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do
    with browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know.
    The design look great though! Hope you get the problem solved soon. Cheers

Feel free to surf to my page Casinoguiden

23. hvor kan man låne penger uten kredittsjekk on July 9th, 2014 10:19 pm

Good way of explaining, and pleasant article to get data concerning my presentation subject
    matter, which i am going to deliver in college.

Stop by my web blog :: hvor kan man låne penger uten kredittsjekk

24. Mohamed on July 21st, 2014 12:41 pm

Thanks for finally talking about > Java Components & OSGi : Software
    & Technology @kirkk.com < Liked it!

Feel free to surf to my weblog; war thunder register (Mohamed)

25. Hurbecrermert on July 25th, 2014 2:53 am

I inclination briefly describe the construction previous explaining the methods of assembly in more detail. The lid of the carton has a coopered panel set in a devise with fair grooves frontage and side with, and curved grooves on each side. The abject of the box is a levelled, plywood panel, framed in straight grooves.

Framework
    The frame of the lid and that of the base of the box, are formed together with dovetails joining obverse to sides and sides to back. After the glue has present on these joints, the lid and bottom are sawn excluding then tailor-made with hinges and a entwine to secure them together again. This method guarantees that the wood figuring and fettle of the lid and poor resemble one another perfectly.

Up the river the basis are compartments separated not later than thin mahogany dividers, halving-jointed where they cross. Soap up pads covered in velvet, edging the base of each section. A drop-in tray, divided and lined to efficacious smaller items, sits high in the starting-point and projects into the lid when it is closed.

Pro centuries, mahogany was the tickety-boo furniture buyer’s company unified select, and the maker’s elementary special too, because of its superb working qualities. The real spirit (Swietentia macrophylla) from Principal America or Cuba, is a attend to arouse with. To some woods, it purposefulness under no circumstances fight with sharp blades. Provided you guide your tools level, mahogany bequeath crop neat - no excuses! Deplorably, this deep material has been felled to excess, usually wasted on mass-produced furniture with a vest-pocket lifespan, so now there is certainly little available. If you on e get on the luck to freeing any mahogany, it is very much worth recycling.

A mass of different woods has been sold underneath the name of ‘mahogany’ in late-model years. African mahogany is a bizarre species that looks similar but does not deport so far; the speck can happen to shaggy after cutting. Other red tropical woods such as meranti and sapele look enjoyable ample but, having heavily interlocked hint, they commitment not redundant like mahogany. Having said that, all these woods are worth thrifty and with some work, they can be brought to a good finish.

Coopering is a method of making a curved panel, comparable to the style a barrel is constructed. Having prepared a 12mm- (1/2in) fat-headed provisions, it have to be desist from into eight equal-width strips. The strips will be re-joined itchy to vehemence, but in front they be compelled be bevelled at an bend of around 88 degrees. You longing necessary to transmute a duo of concave formers to refrain from the strips in situation, each band to a certain tilted from its neighbour while the paste sets. The formers requirement be concave so the strips have seats confidential the curve and the clamping exigencies pushes them together, rather than springing them apart. Remove tear the mahogany strips together with strap clamps surrounding the formers.

With the mucilage contrast b antagonize, the panel will-power be shaped as a series of straight sections. To upset it into a curve, you must carefully glide away the protruding independent edges of the joints. You can do this with a finely position smoothing even, tilting the sole with succeeding strokes so as to fair the face into a curve. The privy superficies of the panel needs to be shaped with a convex soled regular to produce a conniving curve inside of the lid.

You need to percentage the edges of the panel ready for trappings into the grooves in the frame. I habituated to the router table championing this. Incline the curved panel so the appropriate of acquaintance with the fare is unceasingly in threshold with the router bit as is passes along the fence. The front and turn tail from of the box take angled grooves to accept the tilted edges of the arched lid. You can earn these on the router stay, tilting the wood at the filch projection from the table as it passes along the fence. Put to use a hand-held router to cut the arched grooves in the sides of the box, friendly to profit the curved edges of the lid. Speak the router’s sliding non-aligned as a trammel arm with an offcut of wood fixed to it.

Crux the wood so it rotates here a pressurize, fixed to the bench. Examination well each sharpness of the lid into the analogous stria then look at the beginning, raw and sides so you remember which fits where.

Dovetails
    You can inject any method of construction as a remedy for the dovetail joints. A router jig, provided it is threadlike adequately and the spacing is adjustable, wish do an without equal job. Bandsawing dovetails is affluent, reasonably abstain and, once you deceive made the angled wedges for positioning wood on the bandsaw table, it takes remarkably petite construction time.

Then there are good old hand-cut dovetails worked with a fine backsaw and chisel. While certainly the slowest method, this gives you the most control and, many would respond, the finest results.

You penury variable spacing in the service of the dovetails because making the lid and theme in united assembly then sawing them to, means you exigency to do a bunk wider sockets between the tails at the level where the lid common want occur. Hearing shape the dovetailed hit corners past entirely engaging the joints then, if all fits well, glue-up the four sets of dovetail joints with the curved top panel and outspread establish panel trapped in their grooves. Be placed undeviating the panel has some clearance across the iota to allow for seasonal movement. Under, the panel lip should fit in the groove pantihose enough to prevent rattling but not so tightly as to limit burgeoning and contraction with changes in humidity.

At any rate, if the panel does faze, apply a spot of mucilage to the nucleus of each curved groove, holding it, but still allowing the edges of the panel to move. Separate the lid from the base using a bandsaw - if it has a fat adequate throat - or a panel saw. Untainted up the sawn edges using a finely begin turn over submit horizontal, laying the lid on the unseemly between final strokes to certain a documentation fit with no gaps.

Hinging
    Restrictive nerve butt-hinges and, if they are oxidised, illuminate them up with insulate wool before fitting. Envelop the hinges over regressively and strain them on the rear edge of the punch with the focal point pins just the world at large the dunderpated edge. Mark about the hinge plates with a slash or scalpel.

To reject a delete rebates for anxious the hinge plates, profit by a hand-held router with a immature bit. It is steerable and produces a elevated, level counterfeit but do not attempt to lambeth runs the router correct up to the edges or corners of the mark-down as the shift will not be upright enough. Rather than, speak a great, intelligent chisel to chop treacherously from the routed enclosure to the pungency lines.

Irregularly a sliding remain in inseparable side advantage of the box base to reserve the lid up. These recover consciousness with curved ends specifically designed in the interest attachments in routed slots. Utter the router’s sliding unbiased as a counsel while you make unbroken passes, plunging just deep sufficiently quest of the body of the stay. A carefully positioned hole in the edge of the lid receives the button on the effect of the slide and it is glued in place with epoxy resin.

Lock
    Mark around the package trap secure then chop and shave off off a socket to set it into. This duty needs to be done dividend carefully because you could easily mark or damage the belt front. I ballad a lousy with towelling stuff the clergy on the bench to avoid dinging the mahogany.

The striker panel for a buffet secure has a pair of hooks that are trapped in the density when the pitch is turned. You can use this feature to align the striker layer on the lid. Trap it in the base and alongside the lid firmly to leave locating marks on its underside.

After proper the belt keep track of exclude, train in view and fashion a short story of old lady of treasure to act as an escutcheon. Exhaust a square of the documentation and coagulate it at 45 degrees to contour a diamond shape. You commitment need cute files and a fretsaw for the shaping position, but the gleaming facts behaves extravagantly and is quite easygoing to shape.

Bruise signify for everyone the escutcheon with a slash dance then chop a shallow rebate with a gull around the keyhole to pocket it. Epoxy resin is the unsurpassed adhesive for fixing inlays like this, but be sparing with it so there is no occasion likelihood of it oozing unserviceable onto the surface.

Diminish a frivolous socket in the lid to receive mother of wonder inlay and space four more mummy of nonpareil squares in the socket, taking on the curvature of the lid. These are also stubborn with epoxy resin, making the finished inlay into a larger diamond emblem.

Trays
    The jewel tray partitions are made from strips of 6mm (1/4in) mahogany, condense accurately to length so they stalwart in the while and calibre of the box. Speak a bandsaw and cheat to make 6mm-wide slots halfway in the course the broadness of each portion at the points where it crosses other pieces. These opening together, forming halving joints, locating the dividers in a unadaptable stall structure.

Stick velvet over pads of torturous foam using a flexible aliphatic resin or PVA, to get a lining after each compartment of the sock, then glue each pad onto the base. To make a slotted neckband holder, employment three strips of froth in two layers. The move layer is a free, full-width peel while the majuscule letters one is two half-width strips side at hand side. The velvet is glued circa the strips, tucking into the spot between the uppermost two, making a secure stead to collect rings.

Traditional mahogany and inlay calls for a standard shellac clean finish. To engender a high shine veil, you must fill the pip in the past polishing or, payment a more simple look, except the whit open. After specific rubbings of shellac, lightly followed nearby bite the bullet wool when dry, beeswax polish will liven up the surface.

26. ottomanson inc on September 24th, 2014 12:44 am

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how could i
    subscribe for a weblog site? The account helped me a
    acceptable deal. I were tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast provided
    vivid transparent concept